A bevy of Christian apologists and philosophers, led by William Lane Craig, has released a collective statement directed towards Ravi Zacharias International Ministry, (RZIM) urging the embattled ministry to be fully transparent in their investigation of their namesake and emphasizing the need to “openly acknowledge their own complicity” in his abuses.
Ravi Zacharias, you’ll recall, was a world-renowned Christian apologist who passed away last year, with revelations after his death revealing him to be a sexual deviant, molesting women who worked for him at a spa he owned, and using his position to groom vulnerable women into compromising relationships.
The statement, released on William Lane Craig’s Facebook page reads:
Statement concerning RZIM
As Christian philosophers and apologists who have respected Ravi Zacharias, we have been deeply troubled and grieved by Ravi’s documented sexual misconduct against women.
We are united in urging Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM) to approach the current investigation with transparency and objectivity with a view to full disclosure of the facts to the public.
Where necessary, the RZIM Board of Directors and leadership should also both openly acknowledge their own complicity and initiate institutional reforms at RZIM as well as provide restitution to those wronged.
The signatories are listed below:
- William Lane Craig (President, Reasonable Faith; Professor of Philosophy, Houston Baptist University; Talbot School of Theology)
- Michael Licona (President, Risen Jesus, Inc., Associate Professor of Theology, Houston Baptist University)
- David Wood (Acts 17 Apologetics)
- J.P. Moreland (Distinguished Professor of Philosophy, Talbot School of Theology, Biola University)
- Mike Austin (Professor of Philosophy, Eastern Kentucky University, and current president of the Evangelical Philosophical Society)
- Christopher Reese (Editor-in-chief, Worldview Bulletin)
- Hugh Ross (Founder and President, Reasons to Believe)
- Kathy Ross (Director, Reasons to Believe)
- Robert B. Stewart (Professor of Philosophy and Theology, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary)
- Jerry L. Walls (Professor of Philosophy and Scholar in Residence, Houston Baptist University)
- Sarah Enterline (Author; historical apologist)
- Gary Habermas (Distinguished Research Professor of Apologetics, Liberty University)
Though RZIM has hired an independent auditing team to pursue matters further, every indication thus far is that RZIM has no intention of taking it seriously or expanding the scope of the probe.
One of Ravi’s victims who was at the center of an explosive sexting lawsuit a few years ago, and who we have been in contact with, has not been contacted by the investigators, even though she is the most well known and visible accusers who has been publicly maligned by RZIM and demonstrably lied about by Ravi and the organization.
So forgive us if we’re not holding our breath.
A CALL TO ACTION
Bringing you discernment news and commentary from a biblical, polemical perspective means it is tough out there on social media. We’re constantly getting kneecapped and constrained by tech companies who find our fidelity to the scripture and pursuit of truth to be intolerable, resulting in our reach being severely throttled.
For this reason, we ask you please consider supporting us a few different ways. The first, by liking and following our new Facebook page, our home where we share new posts and interact with our members. The second, by following and retweeting our Twitter page. The third, by signing up for our newsletter below.
And last, through direct support. You can catch our free weekly episodes of the Polemics Report by subscribing at BTWN. If you like what you hear and desire to hear more, you can get the VIP full-length version for only $5.95 per month on Patreon. Also, you get other freebies for additional monthly pledges.
Subscribe to us on Patreon here and support our ministry.
Stay informed. Subscribe Today.
When you subscribe, please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your contacts to ensure that your newsletter doesn’t go into your spam folder.
Enter your email address below…